Saturday, October 18, 2014

Book 1: American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis





I'm starting with American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.









I'm 90% done with it, but for the record: I'm beginning at 8:00 am, at about page 360 of 401.

Loving it. I'd seen the movie, but the book brings Bateman's psychosis that much more into your face.


American Psycho Stats
Pages: 401 (but beginning at 360)
Began: 8:00 am (at 90% completion)
Finished: 8:35 am
Total time: 35 minutes (1.2 pg/min avg)
Rating: 4 out of 5

I absolutely loved this book. I've always been a big fan of different authors' interpretations of crazy, and my god did this deliver. It's disjointed and disconnected (just like Bateman); the way he puts random thoughts together - banal mixed unthinkingly with viciously depraved - was something I didn't expect to impress me, but halfway through some paragraphs I found myself feeling just as bewildered as he seemed half the time.

Thomas Harris was my benchmark on "favorite psychopath inner monologues," but this is officially tied with it.

GoogleDocs Spreadsheet (because that's how I roll).

No comments:

Post a Comment